These hand-sewn heart felt treat bags are the perfect little project to whip up just in time for Valentines Day – or any day! They are simple enough for kids to make too.
My four year old sewed his own heart (with my help). We recently did a great first sewing project for kids where he learned how to do the straight stitch. I was surprised how quickly he picked it up. So this time we decided to try something different and go with an overcast stitch.
This tutorial is part of Sew a Softie for Valentines Day with Coloured Buttons. I’m excited to join in!
Make a Hand-Sewn Heart Felt Treat Bag:
What you’ll need:
- embroidery thread
- embroidery needle
- felt (cut into two heart pieces of the same size)
- yarn or ribbon
Sewing the Heart Treat Bag:
I precut heart pieces, about the size of the palm of my hand. You can make it any size. I find that smaller sizes are easy for my child to hold and sew up quickly for short attention spans.
You’ll want to start an inch or so away from the center of the heart to leave enough room for an opening to add treats into.
- Start the stitch in between the two pieces of felt. This will hide the knot. Pull the thread through.
- Bring the thread over and put the needed through the front of the project and pull through.
- Bring the yarn around again and put the needle though the same side.
- Repeat this all the way around for an overcast stitch.
Sew all the way around until you get to about an inch away from the center.
Loop the thread through the previous stitch to make a knot.
I like to thread it through the heart to hid the knot, and then cut off the extra thread.
Here’s a photo of my son sewing his! I was right there with him the whole time. Some of his stitches are better than others depending on how much he was paying attention or how much guidance I was offering.
After knotting off the project, fill with treats or a love note!
To finish this project, we wanted to make a loop to hang it with. We used yarn, but this would look very pretty with ribbon too.
To do this:
- Thread the yarn (or ribbon) through the embroidery needle.
- pull it through the top center of the heart.
- Pull one end of the yarn out of the felt and needle, leaving one in.
- Knot and cut off the excess.
Now you have a little felt treat bag to give to someone special!